DEFINITION: To do, perform, show favor, revere.
Derivatives include embellish and dynamite.
- Suffixed form *dw-eno-. bonbon, bonito, bonny, bonus, boon2, bounty; bonanza, bonhomie, debonair, from Latin bonus, good (< “useful, efficient, working”).
- Adverbial form *dw-ene. benediction, benefaction, benefactor, benefic, beneficence, benefit, benevolent, benign, herb bennet, from Latin bene, well.
- Diminutive *dw-en-elo-. beau, beauty, belle; beldam, belladonna, belvedere, embellish, from Latin bellus, handsome, pretty, fine.
- Possibly suffixed zero-grade form *dw-eye-. beatitude; beatific, beatify, from Latin beare, to make blessed.
- Possible (but unlikely for formal and semantic reasons) suffixed zero-grade form *du-n-. dynamic, dynamite, dynast, dynasty; aerodyne, from Greek dunasthai, to be able. (Pokorny 2. (deu-) 218.)